Sunday, August 22, 2010

Untainted beauty...

Phillip started reading this new devotional called "Crazy Love." He has encouraged me to read it also. So far, and I am not very far, but I know that I will really learn something from it. In the first chapter there is a video online that Francis Chan directs you to watch called "the awe factor," I am going to post a link to it... watch it.



It is amazing to me, the expanse of God. Two of the most spiritual moments I have ever had in my life, happened amongst the creations of God. The first was in the jungles of Jamaica and the second was standing over a surgeon as he did a triple by pass on a female patient. The first one, I have written about here...

Standing amidst the cool, crisp waterfall and breathing in the aromas of the jungle, I knew then what heaven must be like. The imagery is still fresh and palpable in my mind’s eye, this new world exploding with nearly every color of the rainbow; I was in another universe. God had this moment of my life in mind when he wove the delicate fabric of this jungle. The air was thick with humidity. The aroma of the water permeated my nostrils and I could taste its sparkling cascades. The jungle was decorated by a brilliant artist with a vast imagination, the creator of all things.

The day was filled with the sounds of exotic life all around me and the turbulence of the water beneath my feet. The people with me were laughing, some nervous about the slippery rocks and some exhilarated by the thought of traversing the waterfall. We clung to each other, our clasped hands making a chain of humanity to help one another climb through the rushing water which threatened to drag us away. My husband climbed in front of me, and as we ascended the waterfall I grasped his hand with all of my strength. The person behind me was a total stranger who was forced to trust my grip and cling to my hand for support. I was merely one of many intricate links in this chain of life attempting to climb one of God’s most stunning creations. I owned my unity with my God. It was as if I had always been a part of the imagination and wonder of my Creator and His universe.

Dunn’s River Falls stretches 600 feet and is sprinkled with lagoons amongst the flowing rapids. Flanking either side of this majestic body of water is a thriving jungle with flourishing vegetation that provides shade for the people who are climbing the falls. Touring the falls is a must-see highlight when visiting Jamaica. The tour guides encourage you to hold the hand of the person in front of you and behind you. This creates a human chain of support that causes people to pull one another through the rushing water and over the algae-covered rocks. At times the movement of the people stops and you can play and swim in the clean pools of crystal clear water.

Water is representative of rebirth in many religions. I was reminded of my own rebirth while wading in the flowing cascades that God had created. God says in Romans 6:4 that “We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” I had such little understanding of what the death of my will and rebirth of my spirit would mean for my life. I stood and confessed that “I believe Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God” and could hardly comprehend the change I was about to undertake. What I did know is that I was dead and that I longed for life. The dark void that had become a hole in my chest longed to be washed clean. I ached for the peace that comes with submersion. There is a quiet beneath the water and a calm that fills the soul. The water was warm around me and I was filled with awesome wonder at a God who loved me enough to forgive me. As I was immersed in the water to lie down in that watery grave, I reemerged a new creature in Christ, whole, washed white as the snow, and able to stand unblemished before my creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment